Opening introduction from Colin Charles got us started. Karen Tegan Padir VP MySQL & Software Infrastructure was the opening keynote.
She comes from a strong tech background and is passionate about open source, the communities and how to make a successful product.
There isn’t a person that doesn’t go a day without interacting with a website or hardware system that uses a MySQL database.
The big news was the announcement of MySQL 5.4 – Performance & Scalability. Key features include.
- InnoDb scalability 16way x86 and 64 way CMT servers
- subquery optimization
- new query algorithms
- improved stored procedures, and prepared statements
- enhanced Information Schema
- improved DTrace Support
More information at MySQL 5.4 Announcement Details….
Other key points includes:
1. Ken Jacobs announces today an Embedded Innodb with a powerful API (not SQL based). Read more at Innobase Introduces Embedded InnoDB
2. MySQLCluster 7.0 is also released today. Some benchmarks 4.3x improvements. New features also include LDAP support.
3. The next release of MySQL Query Analyzer, 2.1 announced.
4. Sun announces a commitment to accept contributions from the community.
5. Community also gets the Monthly Rapid Updates.
6. MySQL Drizzle Project is discussed as a technology incubator.
Partners of the year: Intel, Infobright and Lifeboard.
Appliation of the year: Zappos, Alcatel-lucent and Symantec.
Community members of the year: Marc Delisle, Ronald Bradford, Shlomi Noach.