I run Ubuntu 9.04 Januty on my Macbook. Previously installing Ubuntu 8.10, wireless worked automatically, for 9.04 it did not.
This is what I did to fix it.
- Verify your Macbook is seeing the Broadcom controller. See below for the lspci command, and expected output.
- Goto System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers. The Broadcom STA wireless driver is activated, deactivate it.
- Add to /etc/modules a line with wl
- Goto System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers. Activate the Broadcom STA wireless driver.
- Wireless now operational.
$ lspci ... 02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03) 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Marvell Yukon 88E8058 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13) 04:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW323 (rev 61)
For reference, modprobe wl does not return any output in my environment, yet wireless works fine.