Marten has opened the 2008 MySQL Conference & Expo. This time he started in his opening comments “I have more to say to more people, and given less time to say it”.
His answer to why Sun bought MySQL included slides showing “Alignment in Culture and Vision” and “What’s in it for you – Performance & Scale, Support, Marketplace”.
This year the MySQL Conference has over 2,000 people and 55 exhibitors.
What was funny, was the photo showing the burning of the IPO Prospectus. Marten mentioned now with many Sun lawyers he has to be more careful what to day. I actually have an interesting extension to this at Watching what you say
Some points of note for me:
- The Web Economy continues to have exponential growth and the need for new technology but a goal of linear growth.
- Continuing to mention becoming “Disruptive Online Innovations”
- The Online landscape consists of the Software Development Model, Business Model,Software Deployment Model and Organisational Model.
- He Reiterated the Design Priorities at MySQL. Reliability, performance, easy of Use
- MySQL Workbench is now GA. Congratulations Michael Zinner.
- On Storage Engine Update, PrimeBase, PBXT and Paul McCullagh got a mention. In addition to he usual suspects, but ScaleDB & Tokutek are newly mentioned and are Exhibitors this year.