I first coined this term in February 2006 in a paper titled “Overcoming the Challenges of Establishing Service and Support Channels” for the conference “Implementing Open Source for Optimal Business Performance” View Paper.
I must have referenced this several times, time to give this topic it’s due notice. In summary it targets three areas:
- the lack of appropriate database design in open source projects
- the lack of coding standards
- the lack of sound programming principles
Here are the bullet points from the slide in a presentation.
- Download-able software and examples
- Online tutorials
- Books like Learn in 24 hours/For Dummies
- Formal Qualifications
- Grounding in sound programming practices
- Understanding of SDLC principles
- Worked in team environment
Middle Ground Developer
- Time to skill verses output productivity
- Depends on environment and requirements